Monday, February 29, 2016

My Kalanchoe Reblooms!

Content submitted by: Barbara Weiner

Kalanchoe is the first re-blooming plant among all those I'd bought so far. I'm so thrilled because my boyfriend always said I had a black thumb instead of a green one.  I followed the instruction from the video I saw on this blog and cut back the plant after the flowers from the last bloom were wasted.  I then added more potting mix to the pot, water once or twice a week as the video advised.  I also fertilized it once a week.  Since I don't have any plant fertilizer other than the orchid plant food mist that I bought a while back in a failed attempt to resuscitate  my dead orchid gift, I just used the leftover mist to spray feed my Kalanchoe to save money on buying new fertilizer. My Kalanchoe seems to accept this orchid food mist and is now forming new flower buds to bloom again. The following photo was from a few days ago before the flower shows up today.


Kalanchoe is such a hardy and low-maintenance plant, I really love it.  I can't really explain the tremendous satisfaction that I'm having when I see a plant re-bloom.

Notes from the editors: Do you have a photo of your plant that you want to share with us? If so, please click here to contact us for photo submission guidelines. If we decide to publish your photo and story, we will send you a beautiful shower curtain.

4 comments:

  1. Too cute, I have a black thumb too where some plants are concerned. Especially indoor ones. I seem to forget about those, even though I walk by them on a daily basis. Your kalanchoe looks great, might be a plant I should try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalanchoe is really a beautiful indoor plants that is worth a try for people like you and me:) I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to try this because I have one that will not rebloom. Thanks for putting me on your blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It forms buds during short days, so limiting the hours of light exposure is the key for re-blooming, according to the video: http://homedecordaily.blogspot.com/2015/11/kalanchoe-is-beautiful-yet-low.html

      Delete