Friday, April 15, 2016

My First African Marigold

Content submitted by: Barbara Weiner


I'm never a patient person, and growing flowers from seeds takes too much patience.  While waiting for my Mexican sunflowers to sprout from seeds, I became restless and wanted to see some flowers in my ugly weedy patio.  I had wished that the dandelions would take over the patio and crowd out those grassy flowerless ugly weeds. But it just isn't happening. There were only a few dainty dandelions and they didn't seem to be spreading. They flowered, they died and then nothing.  I have no idea why many people hate dandelions so much and often take extreme measures to use chemical to kill them.   I will never want any chemical in my patio, even though it's only my rental.  I had made a pact with my landlord to not send his gardeners to my place. I rather have a patio filled with weeds than having a barren toxic and chemical soaked patio right outside my living room.   Besides, I kind of like the dandelion's dainty and delicate yellow flowers.  I would love to see them blooming all over the patio.

After watching the video on how Marigolds are the easiest plants to grow for spring, summer and fall, I picked up one wilting African Marigold plant that had only one yellow pom-pom flower for $1.00 when I was shopping for grocery.  I guess it was $1.00 because it wasn't looking too good and the grocery store just wanted to get rid of it.

I brought it home and I just put it in the the same hole where I dug out the dead dandelion plant. That was over a week ago. I have been watering it every other day (without using fertilizer). Now  I am seeing a couple new flowers starting to bloom....  Not bad for $1.00.

Notes from the editors: Do you want to share with us your experience in gardening?  If so, please click here to contact us for article submission guidelines. If we decide to publish your article, we will send you a beautiful shower curtain.

No comments:

Post a Comment